Is your tracking company tracking you correctly?
Recent Company News
- Keep your cover in check – important insurance points to ponder
- Passion is the key to entrepreneurial success
- Is your tracking company tracking you correctly?
- Top tips to protect your child's identity
- Stay safe on the roads
- Time is money: Tips to help you use yours well
- Don’t be a statistic: 4 tips to avoid motorcycle hijacking
- Own the open road: Tips for trucking owner-drivers looking to improve their bottom line
- Car hire: read the fine print
- Understanding your blue light rights
- Small business deserves to be a bigger priority
By: Nthabiseng Moloi, MiWay Head of Marketing & Brand
Given the treacherous nature of South Africa’s roads, and recent findings suggesting that hijackings are on the increase countrywide, tracking devices have become a necessity for South African drivers. Not only do these devices enable easier recovery of stolen vehicles and more efficiently validate theft claims, but they are also increasingly being used as a security precaution, delivering emergency alerts to insurers in case of accidents.
But are all tracking devices created equal? Before you sign up for a tracking solution for your vehicle, here are a few key points you may want to consider.
What kind of technology is used to track your car?
Older tracking devices tend to be equipped with RF (Radio Frequency) systems, which, while accurate, are not as technologically advanced as their GPS-fitted counterparts. As such, it’s important to understand the tech behind your tracking device, as you’ll likely be better served by more advanced systems.
Is your tracking device reliable?
It’s all very well to have a tracking device installed, but if it isn’t working properly, it’s likely to prove fairly useless in the event of a claim or emergency. Should you wish to claim for the loss of a car as a result of theft, you’ll likely see your claim rejected should the tracker not be functional, as the majority of insurance companies provide theft cover only if it’s in good working order. As such, it’s best to perform regular checks on your device so as to ensure it’s got you adequately covered.
Is your tracking device able to forewarn you?
One of the benefits of a tracking system is that it can alert you when you enter a potentially unsafe area, sending a notification to your phone via SMS. These proactive warnings can prove extremely helpful in the event that you are lost or in an unknown area, so it’s important to ensure that this is offered by your insurer as part of your package.
In the event of an accident or breakdown, does your tracking device have you covered?
Using the latest technology, credible tracking devices should offer a sensor that allows for your location to be sent to your insurer should you be in an accident. Sensing unusual pressure as a result of a potential impact, these devices can immediately trigger an alert, enabling insurers to provide emergency assistance even when you aren’t able to alert them yourself. This is perhaps one of the most critical elements of tracking technology and one you shouldn’t leave home without. It could save your life and the lives of your passengers in the car.
Additionally, if you find yourself caught stranded on the side of the road - particularly in an area unfamiliar to you - you’ll be able to use your tracker to pinpoint your location, so as to send for help quickly and efficiently.
Installing a tracking device might seem like just another unnecessary expense, but when it comes to the safety of both you and your vehicle, it’s in your own best interest to have one installed in your car. Check with your car insurance provider to see which tracking companies they recommend and get your car tracked before it’s too late!
MiWay is an Authorised Financial Services Provider (Licence no: 33970).
Date Posted: 2017-11-30
Posted By: MiWay Insurance Limited
Listed under these Business Listing Categories: Financial services,
More Company News
- Small business deserves to be a bigger priority
- MiWay’s BusinessAssist service set to promote growth in the SME sector
- The Car Wash Conundrum: How to avoid South Africa’s latest crime trend
- MiWay launches disaster relief fund
- How to avoid buying a water-damaged car
- What happens when you neglect your home maintenance?
- Tips to improve your safety on the roads
- The fine print: Understanding the rules of the road
- The risks of business ownership
- Cover your assets: Things to consider when buying a car
- Shaping tomorrow's leaders
- MiWay backs a winning team
- New MiWay App feature that no road user should be without
- MiWay sponsors 40th Wally Hayward Marathon
- TREAD collaborates with MiWay on MiWayMTB TV show
- MiWayMTB and TREAD team up to offer MTB skills clinics
- Want to improve your MTB performance?
- MiWay keeps its promises
- What should a biker insure? A motorcycle insurance checklist for your peace of mind.
- MiWay Insurance creates jobs in Bloemfontein
- Customers show their support for MiWay
- MiWay and Tracker SA tie the knot
- Insurance innovation: MiWay fixes premiums for three years
- Car Insurance - Parts used to repair insured cars may not compromise safety!
- Useful tips for finding cheaper car insurance!
- MiWay clients benefit from Europ Assistance SA's highly equipped call centre.
- What to consider when deciding on Car Insurance.
- Home Insurance from MiWay
- MiWay.co.za - A South African Insurance Provider
- Miway to Profile Driver Behaviour for More accurate Premiums
- Insure your Boat with MiWay
Fax 2 Email
Study IT Online
Work from Home