The Car Wash Conundrum: How to avoid South Africa’s latest crime trend
Recent Company News
- Home rental 101: Making the right move
- The claim game: Is your cover sufficient?
- Think like a start-up: 3 lessons for big business
- Why transport matters: The economy depends on it
- 5 Success hacks to grow your business
- 4 Reasons why co-working could be the key to kick-starting small business
- A 7-step guide to starting your own trade business
- Women’s Month focus: 5 Safety tips for women on the road
- 5 Successful business women share their secrets
- When you can’t speak: Top tips for ensuring emergency teams can access your information
- MiWay treats 100 families this Mandela Day
By: Nthabiseng Moloi, MiWay head of marketing & brand
South Africans are well aware of the perils of car theft, with crime rates continuing to soar, particularly in large metropolitan areas. But while we are vigilant when it comes to hijacking and remote jamming, crime can happen when we least expect it. Over the course of last year, car washes have become an increasingly popular target for would-be criminals, who have been able to capitalise on drivers’ relative nonchalance.
The modus operandi typically follows a similar thread: the car owner drops off the vehicle and goes shopping or runs errands for a few hours. With the car now unmanned, criminals falsely identify themselves as its owner, and drive away in plain sight.
So, before you set off on a Saturday shopping spree and leave your vehicle in the supposedly safe hands of a car wash, here are a few things you need to consider:
Take the necessary precautions
Leaving your car to be thoroughly cleaned while you shop and run errands is an admittedly irresistible plan, but checking your car in on a busy Saturday morning creates easy opportunities for opportunistic criminals. A busy mall means a flurry of customers, making it less easy for car wash owners to remember the identity of every vehicle owner.
So if you’re unable to check your car in for a wash during a less crowded time, be sure to let the car wash owner know that you will be collecting your vehicle, and that you will never let somebody else do so on your behalf. It’s also worth checking up on the car wash’s collection procedure, double checking what kind of identification is required in order to collect the vehicle.
Make sure you’re covered
Most car wash businesses do not have their own insurance in place to cover damage or theft, meaning customers essentially leave their cars in their care at their own risk. But be sure to ask. As such, it’s important that you understand the terms of your own vehicle insurance and check with your provider whether or not your cover extends to car washes. By ensuring your vehicle is covered no matter what, you’ll be able to shop till you drop with a clear conscience.
Additionally, it’s important that you understand the potential consequences of theft or damage, particularly if you’re not appropriately insured. If your car is still financed by the bank, you will not only need to replace it, but also continue to pay your existing monthly installments. Is that worth the inconvenience of giving your car a good scrub in the driveway?
MiWay is an Authorised Financial Services Provider (Licence no: 33970)
Date Posted: 2017-08-17
Posted By: MiWay Insurance Limited
Listed under these Business Listing Categories: Financial services,
More Company News
- MiWay treats 100 families this Mandela Day
- Theft on the move: How to safeguard goods and personnel in transit
- Reducing the risk of remote jamming
- Understand the difference between voidance and cancellation of an insurance policy
- Making money from your baking hobby
- The entrepreneurial case for a co-working space
- Safe driving depends on safe braking: 5 tips to keep you safe
- Health and Safety: The recipe for a better logistics industry
- MiWay sponsors Wally Hayward Marathon for third consecutive year
- Vehicle overloading: Don’t put your business at risk
- Your employees are your greatest asset – manage them well
- Keep your cover in check – important insurance points to ponder
- Passion is the key to entrepreneurial success
- Is your tracking company tracking you correctly?
- Top tips to protect your child's identity
- Stay safe on the roads
- Time is money: Tips to help you use yours well
- Don’t be a statistic: 4 tips to avoid motorcycle hijacking
- Own the open road: Tips for trucking owner-drivers looking to improve their bottom line
- Car hire: read the fine print
- Understanding your blue light rights
- Small business deserves to be a bigger priority
- MiWay’s BusinessAssist service set to promote growth in the SME sector
- The Car Wash Conundrum: How to avoid South Africa’s latest crime trend
- MiWay launches disaster relief fund
- How to avoid buying a water-damaged car
- What happens when you neglect your home maintenance?
- Tips to improve your safety on the roads
- The fine print: Understanding the rules of the road
- The risks of business ownership
- Cover your assets: Things to consider when buying a car
- Shaping tomorrow's leaders
- MiWay backs a winning team
- New MiWay App feature that no road user should be without
- MiWay sponsors 40th Wally Hayward Marathon
- TREAD collaborates with MiWay on MiWayMTB TV show
- MiWayMTB and TREAD team up to offer MTB skills clinics
- Want to improve your MTB performance?
- MiWay keeps its promises
- What should a biker insure? A motorcycle insurance checklist for your peace of mind.
- MiWay Insurance creates jobs in Bloemfontein
- Customers show their support for MiWay
- MiWay and Tracker SA tie the knot
- Insurance innovation: MiWay fixes premiums for three years
- Car Insurance - Parts used to repair insured cars may not compromise safety!
- Useful tips for finding cheaper car insurance!
- MiWay clients benefit from Europ Assistance SA's highly equipped call centre.
- What to consider when deciding on Car Insurance.
- Home Insurance from MiWay
- MiWay.co.za - A South African Insurance Provider
- Miway to Profile Driver Behaviour for More accurate Premiums
- Insure your Boat with MiWay
Fax 2 Email
Study IT Online
Work from Home