What happens when you neglect your home maintenance?
Recent Company News
- MiWay launches disaster relief fund
- How to avoid buying a water-damaged car
- What happens when you neglect your home maintenance?
- Tips to improve your safety on the roads
- The fine print: Understanding the rules of the road
- The risks of business ownership
- Cover your assets: Things to consider when buying a car
- Shaping tomorrow's leaders
- MiWay backs a winning team
- New MiWay App feature that no road user should be without
- MiWay sponsors 40th Wally Hayward Marathon
By: Nthabiseng Moloi, MiWay Head of Marketing & Brand
Winter is now well on its way, which for many South Africans, means the arrival of unwelcomed storms and floods that can do serious damage to property. Yet despite this predictable annual arrival, many homeowners still tend to wait until it’s too late before making the appropriate preparations.
As such, many weather-related insurance claims may be denied – an unpleasant and costly surprise to homeowners – as the majority of these are usually the result of poor maintenance rather than seasonal storms.
While there are undoubtedly unprecedented weather phenomena that can do unexpected damage to your home and property, the vast majority of storm related damage can in fact be easily prevented simply by ensuring proper upkeep of your home.
As the old saying goes, it’s better to be safe than sorry, and as winter waits sneakily in the wings, there’s no better time to get your home prepped to face its inevitable wrath.
Here are a few handy DIY tips you might want to take onboard to ensure your home can take the hit, and to guarantee that any damage claims will be validated by your insurance provider:
Check the perimeter
Before winter takes hold, it’s important to give the exterior of your property a thorough once-over, checking roofs and ceilings for any cracks that might lead to unwanted water damage. Cracks or gaps in your windows can also lead to the development of damp or mould, and clogged gutters can prove an impediment to drainage, leading to leaks and eventual collapse.
Give your garden a once-over
It’s not just your home itself that’s susceptible to storm damage. In fact, errant trees and branches are often the cause of unnecessary damage to both your house and garden. So make sure that any dead or damaged branches are pruned prior to winter’s arrival and ensure that any overhanging branches from your neighbour’s yard are appropriately trimmed back. You should also seal any cracks in your outdoor walkways or driveway, as these can worsen significantly in the event of wet weather and thus become unsafe.
A clean sweep
Cosy fires and winter go hand in hand, but an improperly maintained chimney can send those best laid plans up in smoke. To prevent your home from becoming a fire hazard during the winter months, give your chimney a thorough sweep and ensure nothing has taken up residence inside, as this could end up causing significant damage once the mercury plummets.
Do some woodwork
Poorly maintained wooden exteriors can be particularly susceptible to aggressive cold fronts and can leave you shivering in the cold and damp. So before it’s too late, make sure to inspect all your wooden window frames and doors ensuring that you clean and varnish them properly and sand down any damaged surfaces.
MiWay is an Authorised Financial Services Provider (Licence no: 33970)
Date Posted: 2017-05-31
Posted By: MiWay Insurance Limited
Listed under these Business Listing Categories: Financial services,
More Company News
- MiWay sponsors 40th Wally Hayward Marathon
- TREAD collaborates with MiWay on MiWayMTB TV show
- MiWayMTB and TREAD team up to offer MTB skills clinics
- Want to improve your MTB performance?
- MiWay keeps its promises
- What should a biker insure? A motorcycle insurance checklist for your peace of mind.
- MiWay Insurance creates jobs in Bloemfontein
- Customers show their support for MiWay
- MiWay and Tracker SA tie the knot
- Insurance innovation: MiWay fixes premiums for three years
- Car Insurance - Parts used to repair insured cars may not compromise safety!
- Useful tips for finding cheaper car insurance!
- MiWay clients benefit from Europ Assistance SA's highly equipped call centre.
- What to consider when deciding on Car Insurance.
- Home Insurance from MiWay
- MiWay.co.za - A South African Insurance Provider
- Miway to Profile Driver Behaviour for More accurate Premiums
- Insure your Boat with MiWay
Fax 2 Email
Study IT Online
Work from Home