Decor and Furniture
Interior Decorating Styles
Recent Company News
- Take your furniture, decor and interior products online now
- Benefits of Online Shopping Home Stores
- Best Home Furniture Shop Online
- A Stylish Dresser to Add the Finishing Touch
- Oak Furniture: Durability and Style
- How to Make Create the Perfect Lounge for Your Home?
- Shopping Online for That Awesome Glass Table
- Different Types of Kitchen Tables
- Discovering Decor and Furniture in the Western Cape
- The Armchair - The Ideal Furniture for Those Who Believe in Perfection!
- High Quality Kitchen Dining Furnishings
Interior decorating involves anything that has to do with the inside of your house and its furnishings. If you plan to revamp the decor of your house, you need to keep in mind several attributes that contributes to the design, like the layout, furnitures, color and the theme.
This article by Tulika Nair goes through all of the things you need to think about when considering redecorating your house.
Types of Interior Decoration Styles
"It's a good thing that when God created the rainbow he didn't consult a decorator or he would still be picking colors." - Sam Levenson
While a professional interior decorator will manage to give your house the much needed pizazz, he will also manage to burn a not very needed hole in your wallet. Different interior decorating styles can be understood by just anyone. All you need to do is, use that locked up imagination and infuse your personal flavor. There are several modern interior designing ideas that you could use. The following types of interior decoration styles will probably give you the much needed push to dive headlong into the colorful world of interior decoration.
Art Deco Style: A style that peaked its popularity in the 1920s and 30s, it is characterized by the minimalist colors and structures that it uses. Black and white are the most used colors which are accentuated by the use of steel, aluminum, chrome, glass, mirrors and white marble. Sleek, strong lines are a mainstay of this style of interior decorating.
Asian Aura: With cultures that are probably as old as the planet itself, it is no wonder that interior decoration inspired by Asia has become hugely popular. The Asian style of decoration is embodied by simple furnishings and uncluttered areas. You could use a lot of bamboo in order to give it an aura of ethnicity.
Contemporary Decorations: For a long time, contemporary decoration was considered to be a very cold style of decorating. It borrowed its foundation from the Art Deco style and added a dash of comfort. The style is defined by subtlety, simplicity and geometric shapes. The colors that are associated with this style are black, white and neutrals. The floor should ideally be either wooden or tiled. You could always scour flea markets and furniture shops for contemporary living room furniture.
Country Style: Also known as the English Country style, this interior designing style is all about comfort and functionality. It's emphasis is on a balance with nature and is perfect for cottage type houses with gardens. Cottage style decorating works better in towns and villages rather than cities. This style uses a lot of warm colors, to give an innate coziness to the house. Wallpapers with floral patterns can be an excellent addition to a house styled in the country style.
Mediterranean Flavor: A combination of interior decorating styles from Italy, Greece, Spain, Turkey and Northern Africa, the theme depends heavily on the colors, white and blue. The Mediterranean theme works best if you have a house that is ocean/sea-facing. White plastered walls and brick tiled floors along with simple yet complex wrought iron furnishings create an atmosphere that transports you to Greece or Italy.
Moroccan Magic: This style of interior decorating is a culmination of all the different cultures that inspire Morocco, from the Mediterranean to the African. Therefore, you have a plethora of colors, blue and green combined with gold and fiery red. The furniture is generally kept low to the ground. The rooms are lit with candles and traditional lighting. You could also use exotic plants as a part of the decor.
Retro Revisited: Is 'Shiny Disco Balls' your favorite song? Well, then the retro style is probably a perfect fit for your personality. Retro is all about bold colors and funky furnishings. Go crazy with lava lamps, checkered flooring, uniquely designed furniture. It is a mish-mash of several decades, primarily the 1950s, 60s and 70s.
Oriental Chic: If your life is all about balancing the positive and the negative, the ying and the yang, then the oriental style would definitely appeal you. Use Feng shui to design the space in your home. It is an ancient Chinese art of decorating, which uses the flow of energy to decide on the perfect arrangement for the house. You could use mats and rugs on the floor, which form an integral part of oriental culture. The furnishings should be made of black wood.
Traditional Ties: This style of interior decorating is all about keeping it classic. The furnishings are not ostentatious. There is a sense of timelessness that can be attached to this style. There is an understated elegance, thanks to the simplicity of lines and texture. The colors used are normally neutral and pale. The furniture is always placed in pairs and is very well put-together.
Interior Decorating Tips
While everyone fancies themselves to be an interior decorator at some point or the other in their life, it is important to understand the basics of the game
Interior Decorating is a subjective art. Pay attention to your likes and dislikes so that you can express your unique style.
While money can buy most things, taste is not for sale. Do not splurge on a piece of furniture that you are going to end up relegating to the garage.
Try and stick to a particular theme. Mixing eras or styles is not a great idea unless you are aiming for shabby chic.
Interior decoration is not always about style. It also requires functionality.
If you have the space, use it. If you are lucky enough to have a good view from your house, then you could probably opt for French windows to draw attention to it.
If you own an opulent showpiece or an ornate piece of furniture, make sure that it becomes the central point of attraction in the room.
Interior decoration is a craft, that you need to have a feel for. It can be learnt, try and understand the nuances that form a crucial part of the art. Experiment with various interior decorating styles, but keep an eye out for reactions from your guests. After all you wouldn't want to be known as the owner of the house that looks like a mismanaged Ikea warehouse.
By Tulika Nair
Date Posted: 2009-09-28
Posted By: Decor and Furniture
Listed under these Business Listing Categories: Manufacturing,
More Company News
- High Quality Kitchen Dining Furnishings
- The Perfect Wooden Coffee Tables
- Furniture in Cape Town for the Contemporary Home
- Decor in Cape Town
- A Brief Guide to Renovating Your Property
- The Bubble Chair
- Buying furniture online
- What Decor and Furniture is all about
- Interior Decorating Styles
- Useful Tips Before Buying Antique Furniture
- Fine Art Tapestries
- Exotic Decor: Ancient Egyptian Decor
- Bathroom Decor - Matching Colour and Design
- Decorating Tips for Your Home Office
- Decorating Ideas for Your Home Office
- Mediterranean Look for a Temperate Climate
- Garden furniture Today
- Glass Dining Furniture-Mix and Match
- Choosing Dining Room Furniture for Your Lifestyle
- Advice on Modern furniture
- Bedroom Decor Furniture - For Your Personal Space
- French Furniture
- Decorate Your Bedroom to Look Designer Without the Cost
- Economics and Furniture Room Design
- Expert Tips for Home and Furniture
- Decorating Ideas for Corporate Events
- Home Office Furniture
- Buying Furniture For Your Office
- Wooden Furniture - Beauty and Elegance
- Office Wall decor - Boost Your Business Image
- French Design For Your Bedroom
- Outdoor Furniture - Modern Decor Style
- Buying Patio Furniture
- Baby Furniture Cribs - Styles and Designs
- Oak Furniture - Classic For a Reason
- African Home Decor - Unique Style
- Tips for Buying Kitchen Furniture
- Dining room Furniture - Things to Consider when choosing a Dining Table
- A Rocking Horse - Kids Dream Furniture
- Arranging Dining Tables to host Great Dinners and Gatherings
- Furniture, Carpets and Clothes - How to save Yourself from Wine Stains
- Bedroom furniture - All the choices Available to You
- Stain-free Furniture - Stain removal Techniques for your Couch
- Keeping your Dog off the Furniture
- Modern Furniture - A Glass Coffee Table's Versatility
- What Contemporary Furniture is, and Why you Should Add some to your Home
- Sofa, Couch or Love-seat? - Choosing your furniture Wisely
- Decorate your Living room in Contemporary Style
- Make your Wooden Furniture Last Longer
- Caring for your Leather Furniture
- Back to Basics with Decorating your Home
- How Mosaic can add Spice to your Home Decor
- How to Spot the Difference between Discount and Bad quality Furniture
- Choosing your Patio Furniture
- Add some Class to your Room with an Ottoman
- Decorate your home With good Lighting
- Rotating Dining room Chairs and Tables
- More tips to Make your House into a Home
- Choosing your Coffee Table - Take it Seriously!
- Curb your Cat's Furniture destruction Instincts
- Decorate your Home according to Your Co-habitants
- Ten Pointers for DIY Interior Design
- Make your Furniture Last - Upkeep and Cleaning Techniques
- Decorating your Space - 5 Common Mistakes & Solutions
- Protect your Furniture from your Pets
- Keep it Simple: Decorate with Contemporary Furniture and Art
- Furnish your Home in the Style of the Stars
- Protect your Furniture: The 7 Deadly Sins of Furniture Destruction
- Versatile Decor and Furniture: How to Adapt to Changes
- Moving House, and not Moving Furniture
- Living Room Furniture: How to Make the Most of It
- Lengthen the Life of Your Outdoor Furniture
- Learning the Basics of Good Furniture Arrangement
- Quick Guide to Maintaining your Modern Furniture
- Furniture - 5 tips before buying your furniture
- How to choose the best sofa bed for your home
- Office furniture that saves space
- Cape Town Furniture Suppliers
- Trends in Contemporary Furniture
- Home Theatre - the basics
- How to choose an office chair
- Buying Office Furniture in 3 easy steps
- Kids furniture
- Lisa King Art Gallery and Furniching from Green Point Cape Town sign up
- South Africa's best furniture website makes a big impression
- New website for Decor and Furniture
- Beds, chairs, couches, tables, decor and art
- Decor and Furniture online showroom
Fax 2 Email
Study IT Online
Work from Home