Decor and Furniture
Decorate your Living room in Contemporary Style
Recent Company News
- Take your furniture, decor and interior products online now
- Benefits of Online Shopping Home Stores
- Best Home Furniture Shop Online
- A Stylish Dresser to Add the Finishing Touch
- Oak Furniture: Durability and Style
- How to Make Create the Perfect Lounge for Your Home?
- Shopping Online for That Awesome Glass Table
- Different Types of Kitchen Tables
- Discovering Decor and Furniture in the Western Cape
- The Armchair - The Ideal Furniture for Those Who Believe in Perfection!
- High Quality Kitchen Dining Furnishings
When you move into a house with one or more people, everybody is bound to have their opinion on what should and should not be included in the home decor. There are preferences in paint colour, choice of lighting, positioning of furniture, style of furniture and so on.
It often happens that the solution is to allow each person to decorate their own space as they wish (difficult if the person shares a bed with you!), but of course there are spaces in the home which everybody uses, and in these areas consensus must be reached on the look. One such space is the living room, or the lounge. While there may be a number of differences in opinion in so far as style goes, one thing that everyone should be able to agree on is to minimize the clutter...
Decorate Your Living Room The Contemporary Way
By: Adam Peters
The living room is the most difficult room in the house to decorate, because most families...well..live in it! It has to be all things to all people. In the contemporary style, this effect is easy to achieve.
If you're like most people, you and your family spend most of your time at home in the living room. That's where you have the couch and chairs, the television and entertainment center, the bookcases and the ornaments. It's the living room, therefore, that can be the most difficult room to decorate.
The essential item to remember when doing any kind of decorating is to have each room as livable as possible. If you have a lot of young children you won't want a lot of breakable bric-a-brac in your living room. No matter how many times you impress upon them not to touch, there's always a chance that they will touch, and break, your breakables. That's one reason why the contemporary style of home decorating advocates having only a very few accessories placed around the room.
Another reason for having only a few accessories - from flower vases to statuettes to decorative cups or plates - is simply that the contemporary design style advocates minimalism. An absence of clutter. Not only does this make it easier to keep the room clean - no need to dust all your dust-collecting knick knacks - but it also makes the room look neater.
What is the focal point of the room? For most people, that's usually the entertainment center - complete with large-screen TV, DVD player, CD player, and storage areas for DVDs and VHS tapes. However, contemporary design doesn't insist that you have an entertainment center - so if you're not into television don't worry about it!
The principle behind decorating a room is to center everything around a focal point - whether that's the entertainment center, a fireplace, or a lovely sofa. Of course in the living room you may well have a fireplace and an entertainment center, in which case you'd probably choose the entertainment center as the focal point.
Around the entertainment center you'll have furniture. The traditional couch and two armchairs...and if you entertain a great deal perhaps another chair or two. But if you don't entertain, don't bother to get those extra chairs! They just add clutter. So does having three or four decorative pillows for each chair as well as for the couch. Simplicity is the watchword, let each piece of furniture speak for itself, don't try to hide it or "dress" it.
Windows come in all shapes and sizes, and depending on how large they are can be that focal point of the room that we were talking about earlier. What is the size of your windows? In which direction do they face? (Do you have the sun streaming into the room in the morning, or in the afternoon?) And what is your view? Do you have a pleasant view across a greensward, or are you looking at someone else's house across the street? Each of these factors determines whether you'll decorate - or "dress" your windows for privacy, for light control, or to complete the design of your room. Whatever the purpose, the window "treatments," as decorators call it, will be simple ane elegant, in the contemporary style.
It's a given that light, solid colors are the best for walls - such colors make the room appear larger and brighter, and show off any and all wall hangings - from paintings to posters to masks - to best effect. Beige and white are the easiest colors to work with, and blend in well with the rest of the room.
In contemporary interior design, the lighting comes not from a central fixture in the ceiling, but rather from stand alone lamps of elegant metallic design, and a few desk lamps - which can be in bright colors to add a splash to the room.
Leave yourself plenty of room in which to move around, and don't overstuff your living room with furniture or decor that you don't need. With contemporary design, simple is always best!
Published At: http://www.isnare.com
Permanent Link: http://www.isnare.com/?aid=159055&ca=Home+Management
About the Author:
Adam Peters contributes adding content to http://www.home-decorating-reviews.com . For additional information on floor lamps or contemporary decorating subjects have a look at his web.
Remember to keep the primary goal in mind throughout the process of decorating the central room in your home, that goal being to keep the room as clutter-free as possible, and have a functional space. Choosing a couch and a TV cabinet will most likely prove more difficult to achieve, but each piece of furniture should be bought with functionality in mind.
Date Posted: 2009-04-07
Posted By: Decor and Furniture
Listed under these Business Listing Categories: Manufacturing,
More Company News
- High Quality Kitchen Dining Furnishings
- The Perfect Wooden Coffee Tables
- Furniture in Cape Town for the Contemporary Home
- Decor in Cape Town
- A Brief Guide to Renovating Your Property
- The Bubble Chair
- Buying furniture online
- What Decor and Furniture is all about
- Interior Decorating Styles
- Useful Tips Before Buying Antique Furniture
- Fine Art Tapestries
- Exotic Decor: Ancient Egyptian Decor
- Bathroom Decor - Matching Colour and Design
- Decorating Tips for Your Home Office
- Decorating Ideas for Your Home Office
- Mediterranean Look for a Temperate Climate
- Garden furniture Today
- Glass Dining Furniture-Mix and Match
- Choosing Dining Room Furniture for Your Lifestyle
- Advice on Modern furniture
- Bedroom Decor Furniture - For Your Personal Space
- French Furniture
- Decorate Your Bedroom to Look Designer Without the Cost
- Economics and Furniture Room Design
- Expert Tips for Home and Furniture
- Decorating Ideas for Corporate Events
- Home Office Furniture
- Buying Furniture For Your Office
- Wooden Furniture - Beauty and Elegance
- Office Wall decor - Boost Your Business Image
- French Design For Your Bedroom
- Outdoor Furniture - Modern Decor Style
- Buying Patio Furniture
- Baby Furniture Cribs - Styles and Designs
- Oak Furniture - Classic For a Reason
- African Home Decor - Unique Style
- Tips for Buying Kitchen Furniture
- Dining room Furniture - Things to Consider when choosing a Dining Table
- A Rocking Horse - Kids Dream Furniture
- Arranging Dining Tables to host Great Dinners and Gatherings
- Furniture, Carpets and Clothes - How to save Yourself from Wine Stains
- Bedroom furniture - All the choices Available to You
- Stain-free Furniture - Stain removal Techniques for your Couch
- Keeping your Dog off the Furniture
- Modern Furniture - A Glass Coffee Table's Versatility
- What Contemporary Furniture is, and Why you Should Add some to your Home
- Sofa, Couch or Love-seat? - Choosing your furniture Wisely
- Decorate your Living room in Contemporary Style
- Make your Wooden Furniture Last Longer
- Caring for your Leather Furniture
- Back to Basics with Decorating your Home
- How Mosaic can add Spice to your Home Decor
- How to Spot the Difference between Discount and Bad quality Furniture
- Choosing your Patio Furniture
- Add some Class to your Room with an Ottoman
- Decorate your home With good Lighting
- Rotating Dining room Chairs and Tables
- More tips to Make your House into a Home
- Choosing your Coffee Table - Take it Seriously!
- Curb your Cat's Furniture destruction Instincts
- Decorate your Home according to Your Co-habitants
- Ten Pointers for DIY Interior Design
- Make your Furniture Last - Upkeep and Cleaning Techniques
- Decorating your Space - 5 Common Mistakes & Solutions
- Protect your Furniture from your Pets
- Keep it Simple: Decorate with Contemporary Furniture and Art
- Furnish your Home in the Style of the Stars
- Protect your Furniture: The 7 Deadly Sins of Furniture Destruction
- Versatile Decor and Furniture: How to Adapt to Changes
- Moving House, and not Moving Furniture
- Living Room Furniture: How to Make the Most of It
- Lengthen the Life of Your Outdoor Furniture
- Learning the Basics of Good Furniture Arrangement
- Quick Guide to Maintaining your Modern Furniture
- Furniture - 5 tips before buying your furniture
- How to choose the best sofa bed for your home
- Office furniture that saves space
- Cape Town Furniture Suppliers
- Trends in Contemporary Furniture
- Home Theatre - the basics
- How to choose an office chair
- Buying Office Furniture in 3 easy steps
- Kids furniture
- Lisa King Art Gallery and Furniching from Green Point Cape Town sign up
- South Africa's best furniture website makes a big impression
- New website for Decor and Furniture
- Beds, chairs, couches, tables, decor and art
- Decor and Furniture online showroom
Fax 2 Email
Study IT Online
Work from Home