Decor and Furniture
Make your Wooden Furniture Last Longer
Recent Company News
- Take your furniture, decor and interior products online now
- Benefits of Online Shopping Home Stores
- Best Home Furniture Shop Online
- A Stylish Dresser to Add the Finishing Touch
- Oak Furniture: Durability and Style
- How to Make Create the Perfect Lounge for Your Home?
- Shopping Online for That Awesome Glass Table
- Different Types of Kitchen Tables
- Discovering Decor and Furniture in the Western Cape
- The Armchair - The Ideal Furniture for Those Who Believe in Perfection!
- High Quality Kitchen Dining Furnishings
Similar to leather furniture, wooden furniture in all its various shapes, forms part of the holistic element that make up your home decor. Your furniture while being classy, durable and having character, also needs taking care of.
Consistency is key here, as regular dusting and polishing will make your wood last for a long time, while retaining its original colour and appeal. There are a few simple things that you need to pay attention to in this article if you want to make your wooden furniture last you through the years.
Make Furniture Care Part of Your Weekly Household Cleaning Schedule
By: Vincent Platania
One of the perks of growing up is learning to appreciate the finer things in life – fine wine, fine food, fine furniture. If you’ve invested in beautiful wood furniture, then you know that fine wood needs some upkeep to continue looking its very best. Dusting, cleaning, polishing and waxing all help protect the wood from damage and preserve its gloss and shine for years. It doesn’t have to take hours to clean and maintain your fine woods properly, though. Just make a bit of furniture care part of your weekly household cleaning schedule so that it becomes routine. All it takes is a few minutes with a quality cleaning product to freshen dull wood and restore the gleam that attracted you in the first place.
Maintenance Care for Fine Furniture
Most care for fine hardwoods is just common sense – mixed with a little elbow grease. Here are some tips from furniture manufacturers to help you keep your hardwood chairs, desks, tables and other furniture in tiptop condition.
1. Follow manufacturers’ instructions for care.
2. Dust at often to remove surface dust and grit that could eventually scratch the finish. Use a soft cloth – an old diaper or t-shirt are great for dusting wood.
3. Moisten the cloth with a spray product before dusting. Dry cloths can leave minute fine scratches on the wood’s finish. If you choose a product with a light wax and silicone in the ingredients list (Lemon DCW Furniture Wax) you’ll actually spend less time dusting because you leave a light, protective coat on the surface of the wood.
4. Your skin loves a good moisturizer – and so does your dining room table. Once every couple of months, give your furniture a deep moisturizing treatment with a high quality lemon furniture oil (Lemon Furniture Oil). The treatment will bring out the grain of the wood, and brighten the finish – as well as prolonging the life of the wood.
5. Every six months or so, take the time to deep-clean all the wood in your house. Use a quality wood cleaner enriched with lanolin (Wood Cleaner and Polish) to clean away fingerprints, collected grease from cooking and other dirt and grime that dulls the finish of kitchen cabinets, woodwork, doors, paneling and furniture.
6. Prevention is half the battle. Protect your fine wood from beverage rings and other common damage by keeping a set of stylish coasters nearby. If water or other liquid gets spilled, wipe it up immediately, and take a minute to rub some lemon oil (Lemon Furniture Oil) into the spot.
7. More prevention – heat is just as damaging to wood as moisture. Be sure to use trivets when serving food to prevent damage to your dining table.
8. If prevention doesn’t work and you end up with a water stain on your new cherry coffee table, don’t panic, says furniture expert Don Aslett. You could do more damage if you start scrubbing at it while the finish is still soft. Instead, wait till it’s completely dry. If there’s still a visible stain, you may be able to smooth it away with rubbing compound, or very fine wool.
By Vincent Platania
Protect your wood actively by not getting lazy with using coasters and dealing with any spills as they occur, or rather as they dry; and deal with it passively by dusting, polishing and the occasional deep cleaning. Your wood is your responsibility and if you don't take care of it nobody else is going to.
Date Posted: 2009-04-06
Posted By: Decor and Furniture
Listed under these Business Listing Categories: Manufacturing,
More Company News
- High Quality Kitchen Dining Furnishings
- The Perfect Wooden Coffee Tables
- Furniture in Cape Town for the Contemporary Home
- Decor in Cape Town
- A Brief Guide to Renovating Your Property
- The Bubble Chair
- Buying furniture online
- What Decor and Furniture is all about
- Interior Decorating Styles
- Useful Tips Before Buying Antique Furniture
- Fine Art Tapestries
- Exotic Decor: Ancient Egyptian Decor
- Bathroom Decor - Matching Colour and Design
- Decorating Tips for Your Home Office
- Decorating Ideas for Your Home Office
- Mediterranean Look for a Temperate Climate
- Garden furniture Today
- Glass Dining Furniture-Mix and Match
- Choosing Dining Room Furniture for Your Lifestyle
- Advice on Modern furniture
- Bedroom Decor Furniture - For Your Personal Space
- French Furniture
- Decorate Your Bedroom to Look Designer Without the Cost
- Economics and Furniture Room Design
- Expert Tips for Home and Furniture
- Decorating Ideas for Corporate Events
- Home Office Furniture
- Buying Furniture For Your Office
- Wooden Furniture - Beauty and Elegance
- Office Wall decor - Boost Your Business Image
- French Design For Your Bedroom
- Outdoor Furniture - Modern Decor Style
- Buying Patio Furniture
- Baby Furniture Cribs - Styles and Designs
- Oak Furniture - Classic For a Reason
- African Home Decor - Unique Style
- Tips for Buying Kitchen Furniture
- Dining room Furniture - Things to Consider when choosing a Dining Table
- A Rocking Horse - Kids Dream Furniture
- Arranging Dining Tables to host Great Dinners and Gatherings
- Furniture, Carpets and Clothes - How to save Yourself from Wine Stains
- Bedroom furniture - All the choices Available to You
- Stain-free Furniture - Stain removal Techniques for your Couch
- Keeping your Dog off the Furniture
- Modern Furniture - A Glass Coffee Table's Versatility
- What Contemporary Furniture is, and Why you Should Add some to your Home
- Sofa, Couch or Love-seat? - Choosing your furniture Wisely
- Decorate your Living room in Contemporary Style
- Make your Wooden Furniture Last Longer
- Caring for your Leather Furniture
- Back to Basics with Decorating your Home
- How Mosaic can add Spice to your Home Decor
- How to Spot the Difference between Discount and Bad quality Furniture
- Choosing your Patio Furniture
- Add some Class to your Room with an Ottoman
- Decorate your home With good Lighting
- Rotating Dining room Chairs and Tables
- More tips to Make your House into a Home
- Choosing your Coffee Table - Take it Seriously!
- Curb your Cat's Furniture destruction Instincts
- Decorate your Home according to Your Co-habitants
- Ten Pointers for DIY Interior Design
- Make your Furniture Last - Upkeep and Cleaning Techniques
- Decorating your Space - 5 Common Mistakes & Solutions
- Protect your Furniture from your Pets
- Keep it Simple: Decorate with Contemporary Furniture and Art
- Furnish your Home in the Style of the Stars
- Protect your Furniture: The 7 Deadly Sins of Furniture Destruction
- Versatile Decor and Furniture: How to Adapt to Changes
- Moving House, and not Moving Furniture
- Living Room Furniture: How to Make the Most of It
- Lengthen the Life of Your Outdoor Furniture
- Learning the Basics of Good Furniture Arrangement
- Quick Guide to Maintaining your Modern Furniture
- Furniture - 5 tips before buying your furniture
- How to choose the best sofa bed for your home
- Office furniture that saves space
- Cape Town Furniture Suppliers
- Trends in Contemporary Furniture
- Home Theatre - the basics
- How to choose an office chair
- Buying Office Furniture in 3 easy steps
- Kids furniture
- Lisa King Art Gallery and Furniching from Green Point Cape Town sign up
- South Africa's best furniture website makes a big impression
- New website for Decor and Furniture
- Beds, chairs, couches, tables, decor and art
- Decor and Furniture online showroom
Fax 2 Email
Study IT Online
Work from Home