Decor and Furniture
Decorating your Space - 5 Common Mistakes & Solutions
Recent Company News
- Take your furniture, decor and interior products online now
- Benefits of Online Shopping Home Stores
- Best Home Furniture Shop Online
- A Stylish Dresser to Add the Finishing Touch
- Oak Furniture: Durability and Style
- How to Make Create the Perfect Lounge for Your Home?
- Shopping Online for That Awesome Glass Table
- Different Types of Kitchen Tables
- Discovering Decor and Furniture in the Western Cape
- The Armchair - The Ideal Furniture for Those Who Believe in Perfection!
- High Quality Kitchen Dining Furnishings
If you were to ask someone if they knew anything about interior design, the answer for the majority of people would be an emphatic 'No'. This is the right answer of course, but somehow when it comes to decorating their own homes, a rush of creative energy comes over them and before you know it, you're being invited to a house warming in a house that seems to clash and clutter everywhere you glance. Not all of us have an eye for how to make a house a home in terms of furniture and decor, but if you are unwilling to call in a professional or a friend who's decor you admire, then for everybody's sake, you should jot down the tips that are in this article.
If you are looking to furnish and decorate your home, visit our online showroom at www.decorandfurniture.co.za
Top Five Home Decorating Mistakes (and how to fix them)
By: Stacey Wiktorek
Home design mistakes can be the root of that room in your home that just isn't "quite right". Help is here! For every design mistake, there is a lesson to be learned, and an even better home design to be achieved. So, I’ve collected some of the most common home decorating mistakes, from the wrong window treatments to over accessorizing, and I've come up with some creative ways to fix them.
It’s happened to anyone who has decorated a room. You put in tons of blood, sweat, and tears (not to mention money) designing a room with the perfect color scheme, the perfect furniture, the perfect window treatments -- only to find it’s lacking that certain something.
A common design mistake could be the culprit.
But don’t lose hope. For every design mistake, there is a lesson to be learned, and an even better home design to be achieved. So, I’ve collected some of the most common design mistakes and some creative ways to fix them.
Design Mistake #1: Bad Lighting
Let’s face it – no matter how trendy your color scheme, no matter how fashion forward your furniture, if you can’t see it (or if the lighting is so poor it alters the look), you can’t appreciate it.
How to Fix It:
First of all, make sure your best no-cost lighting accessory (the sun) is getting through. Effective window treatments that combine fashion and function are key in this solution. Any shade or blind that allows you to control incoming light is going to help you out here: sheer shades with horizontal or vertical vanes that can be adjusted are one solution. Plantation shutters also offer a classic look, with the ability to control the light that comes through.
Also, try not to ever limit any room to a single light source. Add floor and table lamps, even when there is an overhead light fixture. This will not only give you more resources for brightening the room, it will also give you more options for changing the ambience, as you can play with the number of lights you have on at once.
Design Mistake #2: Looking Up to Your Art
For some reason, many people try to balance out a room by placing their wall artwork high above their furniture. However, instead of balancing the room, it makes the pieces appear as though they are "floating", achieving a disorganized effect instead of a "put together" one.
How to Fix It:
Wall decor should relate to the furniture below it. Some designers suggest that there should be between 66"-72" from your floor to the top of any hanging wall artwork or pictures. Of course, there are exceptions with larger pieces, but this is a good rule of thumb that will help you keep your wall decor from floating away.
Design Mistake #3: Everything Matches!
While we’re not suggesting clashing colors and furniture is in, too much matching can actually be a design nightmare. When everything matches exactly, a viewer’s eye is not drawn to any one thing in particular, which can make the room appear dull. In addition, with nothing standing out to break up the monotony, a completely matching room can actually appear more cluttered.
How to Fix It:
Coordinate, don’t duplicate. When choosing accessories, furnitures, and colors, pick items that will blend well together but do not repeat themselves. For example, in a room with different sets of windows: if the windows differ in size, it's okay to get a vertical blind for the larger windows and a horizontal blind for the smaller windows. You can coordinate the colors of the blinds, without getting the exact same blind for each set of windows.
No plans to replace that matching furniture suite? No problem! You can neutralize extreme matching by changing colors. Choosing a different wall color can tone down the patterns.
Design Mistake #4: Choosing Quantity over Quality
This is one of the most common design mistakes, and often results in over furnishing, over accessorizing, and way too many knick-knacks. It works against a unified look for a room, as every space becomes crowded with tiny accessories and picture frames. In moderation, these accessories accent a room – but their overuse can make a room feel crowded, cramped, and disjointed.
How to Fix It:
But what you love, and only buy it because you love it, not because it’s on sale. (Admit it, we’ve all done it) And if you can’t afford that gorgeous large wall hanging yet, don’t purchase small candle holders and picture frames instead. Wait and save up! Your room decor will thank you for it.
Let’s say you have a collection of knick-knacks and small items you adore; they really capture your personal style. You can still have quantity AND quality. Organize your favorite home design accessories by massing groups of smaller things together, for a more unified look. And don’t forget – not every accessory you own has to be displayed at once. Display one group at a time, and you’ll have plenty of ways to refresh your decor each season!
Design Mistake #5: I Just Want to Get it Done!
Home decorating takes time, exploration and research, but too often people make decisions too quickly, without testing the possibilities or researching various options. This can lead to paint colors that don’t look right (they can often look different in the natural lighting of your home), or even worse, an ignoring of your own personal style in an effort to get it done.
How to Fix It:
Test, explore, and research! And when you’ve done all that, listen to your gut! Home decor magazines are a great place to start your research, and from there you can decide what look is right for you. There are also a variety of online tools that can help, like BlindCrafter.com's MyStyle, an online guide to design styles that is based on YOUR personal preferences.
This last design mistake brings me to the most important thing you should remember when decorating your home: trust your judgement! While these expert tips are good rules of thumb when designing the layout and decor of a room, they're not steadfast, and they don't work for everyone. But when you use them as a guideline, and you start exploring the variety of resources out there, you're sure to come up with a look for your home that you love!
Kristina's Design Studio
Kristina's Design Studio is an online resource for home decorating tips and articles, home design newsletters, online decorating tools, and even a chance to ask our in-house design experts your design questions!
By Stacey Wiktorek
Date Posted: 2009-03-12
Posted By: Decor and Furniture
Listed under these Business Listing Categories: Manufacturing,
More Company News
- High Quality Kitchen Dining Furnishings
- The Perfect Wooden Coffee Tables
- Furniture in Cape Town for the Contemporary Home
- Decor in Cape Town
- A Brief Guide to Renovating Your Property
- The Bubble Chair
- Buying furniture online
- What Decor and Furniture is all about
- Interior Decorating Styles
- Useful Tips Before Buying Antique Furniture
- Fine Art Tapestries
- Exotic Decor: Ancient Egyptian Decor
- Bathroom Decor - Matching Colour and Design
- Decorating Tips for Your Home Office
- Decorating Ideas for Your Home Office
- Mediterranean Look for a Temperate Climate
- Garden furniture Today
- Glass Dining Furniture-Mix and Match
- Choosing Dining Room Furniture for Your Lifestyle
- Advice on Modern furniture
- Bedroom Decor Furniture - For Your Personal Space
- French Furniture
- Decorate Your Bedroom to Look Designer Without the Cost
- Economics and Furniture Room Design
- Expert Tips for Home and Furniture
- Decorating Ideas for Corporate Events
- Home Office Furniture
- Buying Furniture For Your Office
- Wooden Furniture - Beauty and Elegance
- Office Wall decor - Boost Your Business Image
- French Design For Your Bedroom
- Outdoor Furniture - Modern Decor Style
- Buying Patio Furniture
- Baby Furniture Cribs - Styles and Designs
- Oak Furniture - Classic For a Reason
- African Home Decor - Unique Style
- Tips for Buying Kitchen Furniture
- Dining room Furniture - Things to Consider when choosing a Dining Table
- A Rocking Horse - Kids Dream Furniture
- Arranging Dining Tables to host Great Dinners and Gatherings
- Furniture, Carpets and Clothes - How to save Yourself from Wine Stains
- Bedroom furniture - All the choices Available to You
- Stain-free Furniture - Stain removal Techniques for your Couch
- Keeping your Dog off the Furniture
- Modern Furniture - A Glass Coffee Table's Versatility
- What Contemporary Furniture is, and Why you Should Add some to your Home
- Sofa, Couch or Love-seat? - Choosing your furniture Wisely
- Decorate your Living room in Contemporary Style
- Make your Wooden Furniture Last Longer
- Caring for your Leather Furniture
- Back to Basics with Decorating your Home
- How Mosaic can add Spice to your Home Decor
- How to Spot the Difference between Discount and Bad quality Furniture
- Choosing your Patio Furniture
- Add some Class to your Room with an Ottoman
- Decorate your home With good Lighting
- Rotating Dining room Chairs and Tables
- More tips to Make your House into a Home
- Choosing your Coffee Table - Take it Seriously!
- Curb your Cat's Furniture destruction Instincts
- Decorate your Home according to Your Co-habitants
- Ten Pointers for DIY Interior Design
- Make your Furniture Last - Upkeep and Cleaning Techniques
- Decorating your Space - 5 Common Mistakes & Solutions
- Protect your Furniture from your Pets
- Keep it Simple: Decorate with Contemporary Furniture and Art
- Furnish your Home in the Style of the Stars
- Protect your Furniture: The 7 Deadly Sins of Furniture Destruction
- Versatile Decor and Furniture: How to Adapt to Changes
- Moving House, and not Moving Furniture
- Living Room Furniture: How to Make the Most of It
- Lengthen the Life of Your Outdoor Furniture
- Learning the Basics of Good Furniture Arrangement
- Quick Guide to Maintaining your Modern Furniture
- Furniture - 5 tips before buying your furniture
- How to choose the best sofa bed for your home
- Office furniture that saves space
- Cape Town Furniture Suppliers
- Trends in Contemporary Furniture
- Home Theatre - the basics
- How to choose an office chair
- Buying Office Furniture in 3 easy steps
- Kids furniture
- Lisa King Art Gallery and Furniching from Green Point Cape Town sign up
- South Africa's best furniture website makes a big impression
- New website for Decor and Furniture
- Beds, chairs, couches, tables, decor and art
- Decor and Furniture online showroom
Fax 2 Email
Study IT Online
Work from Home