Dress to get the Job - Interview Attire
Recent Company News
- How Image Consultants Use Free Publicity
- Total Consumer Advice on Clothing
- Body Shape Fashion Tips
- APPROPRIATE VS INAPPROPRIATE ITEMS FOR THE WORKPLACE
- Follow these 10 Steps to Improve Your Self Image
- Top Self Improvement Advice
- Self Improvement for Job Interview Success
- Improved Self Image: Dress, Walk And Act The Part
- Improve Your Self Image
- Exercise routine - Improved Apearance
- Improve Your Image
Before being involved in one's first interview, the most common piece of advice or comfort that is offered is something along the lines of: 'Don't worry, the first one is the hardest'. Unfortunately, for the most part, this advice is not laden with truth. Interviews can be harder or easier at any time of your life depending on the circumstances that surround it. While it is true that interviews get easier as you get used to the process and become more sure of yourself and your capabilities, it can become far more difficult when applying for a position that requires you to be dressed very professionally...
If you are looking for a corporate/personal image consultant with over 20 years of experience in the field, go to www.janeshonfeld.co.za
What to Wear to a Job Interview
Copyright © 2009 Camilla Patten
So by now you know that first impressions are essential when securing your dream job. Your body language as well as your appearance plays a huge role in creating a great impression to your job interviewer. Many Job Seekers are concerned with what to wear to a job interview and how to make a professional first impression.
Your interview attire says very specific things about you as an employee which is why you need to pay special care to your appearance. Your clothing must send a consistent message to that delivered in your application and CV. Take extra care when dressing ahead of a job interview and ensure that you are presentable, professional and always neutral. Your job interview outfit plays a supportive role in selling your skill and accomplishments to a potential employer. Be sure to check out Jobs.co.za Job Interview Fashion-Police Guidelines for tips on how to dress for job interview success.
JOB INTERVIEW FASHION-POLICE GUIDLINES
Job interview suspects need to pay very close attention to what they decide to wear to their job interview. Both men and women need to follow strict guidelines in order to relay a favourable message to the interviewer. Prepare the night before and be sure to take note of the following points when deciding how to dress for a job interview;
DOES YOUR JOB INTERVIEW ATTIRE FIT YOU CORRECTLY?
Be sure that you appear to be neat and tidy when dressing for your Job interview. Clothing that is too large appears sloppy and thrown together. In converse to this, clothing that is too tight may present an incorrect perception about your personality as well as appear shabby.
IS YOUR JOB INTERVIEW OUTFIT CLEAN AND IRONED?
Speaking from experience, housekeeping is not everyone's forte'. When preparing the night before your job interview, ensure that the clothes you plan on donning during your interview are clean and neatly pressed. You wouldn't hire a recruit if they showed no respect for their own appearance, so why should this be any different for your interview outfit.
DRESS FOR YOUR JOB INTERVIEW USING CONSERVATIVE COLOURS.
When dressing for an interview, stick to classic or conservative colours, such as navy blue, brown and black. Style and fashion trends are forever changing and can often create the wrong impression to a potential employer. Everyone has a right to their individual style but always be aware of the message your interview attire is making.
SAFE OUTFIT CHOICES FOR MEN
In most cases, a two piece suit is your best bet when selecting cloths to wear to a job interview. Even if a suit is not a requirement for the role, rather attend a job interview over-dressed than under -dressed. Remember that your suit must match; nothing is more unprofessional than wearing a dinner jacket with a mismatched pair of trousers. Pay special attention to the socks you wear which should be as closely matched to either your trousers or your shoe colour. Also stick to conservative or neutral ties, cartoon character ties are just so last season.
SAFE OUTFIT CHOICES FOR WOMEN
Women are fortunate in the sense that they have more job interview clothing options. While most women appreciate this, it can be a little trickier trying to put something suitable together. Women have the option of wearing a two piece pants or skirt suit. A tailored pair of pants with a matching jacket is usually more than perfect when dressing for job interview success. Ladies should always be very careful about highlighting their 'assets'. Be careful with plunging necklines as well as skimpy hemlines. While you may be comfortable to 'shake what your mama gave you', I assure you this will work against you during a professional job interview.
INTERVIEW GROOMING AND PRESENTATION
Although basic hygiene is not something anyone should have to justify, when preparing for a job interview its worth paying attention to. Make sure your nails are trimmed and neatly manicured. Men should pay attention to this just as much as ladies. While your nails should be clean and short, your hands should also be washed and unmarked. Hair should be pulled back neatly and preferably off your face. If your hair is cut in a short style, make sure you don't need a trim before going to your job interview. Naturally, the way you smell is also significantly important when 'dressing for success' in a job interview. Don't make the common mistake of over using cologne or perfume. Smelling nice is one thing, but causing acute asphyxiation of your interviewer is not going to secure you a call back.
There is a little piece of wisdom that you should always apply when getting dressed for a job interview.
Take a good look in the mirror and ask yourself; 'would I hire me?' Pay close attention to each detail that encompasses your job interview outfit. If you can wear it out clubbing, don't wear it to your Job Interview.
Visit http://www.jobs.co.za for more job seeking and career advice. Jobs.co.za is South Africa's Job Portal.
Men and women alike will no doubt experience stress over what clothes to wear to an interview regardless of how much good advice is on offer, but if you plan ahead (at least the night before) and set out the clothes that you plan to wear, then you will have more time to relax and think about the interview itself. This should have you more composed and prepared for the interview than sweating over which pair of socks to wear will!
Date Posted: 2009-04-14
Posted By: JANE SHONFELD
Listed under these Business Listing Categories: Business services & consultants, Entertainment, Personal Services,
More Company News
- Improve Your Image
- Dress Up For The Occasion
- Stay Warm And Stylish with Long Sleeve Polos
- Choosing a Hairstyle to Compliment your professional Look
- Dress to get the Job - Interview Attire
- How to Choose Stylish Plus-size Clothing
- Weight Loss Programs - 5 things to Consider before Choosing
- Winter fashion 2009 - Stay warm and Professional
- What to look for When buying Nylon Stockings
- Formal Wear - The essentials of Office Clothing
- The Weight loss Programme that Won't give you Sleepless nights
- Choosing shoes to Save the World
- Strive for Excellence, not Perfection
- Dressing appropriately For work Opportunities
- Improve your Image - Correct your Posture and Leave Back pain Behind
- Appropriate Humour in the Workplace
- Maximize your Image Potential - Picking the Right Clothes
- Presentation is Power: Dress like a Winner
- Match your Fashion with your Self-Image
- High-Heels: How everyday Fashion may be Hurting you
- Women in The Workplace, Then & Now: Skirt and Blouse to Power Dressing
- Compliment your Corporate Image with a Functional Scarf
- Fashion: 4 Trends for 2009
- Summer Fashions
- The Ultimate 3 Day Crash Diet
- Building Business Rapport in Emerging Markets
- Gear up for Global Warming
- Correct corporate dress will improve your bottom line
- Appropriate vs Inappropriate clothing in the workplace
- Clothing and our environment
- Dress for sales success
- Reinvent yourself for just R295
- Reinvent yourself this winter
- Selling Yourself to Succeed
- Make me Marketable Training course
- This is the year to Make the Most of Yourself
- The Change Room
- Do you want to 'Make the Most of Yourself'?
Fax 2 Email
Study IT Online
Work from Home