Appropriate Humour in the Workplace
Recent Company News
- How Image Consultants Use Free Publicity
- Total Consumer Advice on Clothing
- Body Shape Fashion Tips
- APPROPRIATE VS INAPPROPRIATE ITEMS FOR THE WORKPLACE
- Follow these 10 Steps to Improve Your Self Image
- Top Self Improvement Advice
- Self Improvement for Job Interview Success
- Improved Self Image: Dress, Walk And Act The Part
- Improve Your Self Image
- Exercise routine - Improved Apearance
- Improve Your Image
Like every family and household, every office has someone who is recognized as the 'resident joker', and these people tend to bring joy into our days even when the day seems irredeemable. It is also true that the 'resident joker' can become inappropriate and irritating when 'crossing the line'. Humour in the workplace is vital, and one should try to engage with one's co-workers in jokes and laughter as this brings people closer together and will assist in meeting and relating to contemporaries. Of course, knowing where 'the line' isn't always possible but there are some pointers that should help with staff relations and contribute to your professional image.
If you are looking for a corporate/personal image consultant with over 20 years of experience in the field, go to www.janeshonfeld.co.za
Jest Practices: Best Practices for Humor in the Workplace
By Craig Harrison
Although humor in the workplace can have beneficial effects, yet not all humor is good humor. However the challenge is to interject appropriate humor & fun into our serious jobs without hurting others or seriously undermining the company.
Most agree that humor in the workplace can have beneficial effects. Yet not all humor is good humor.
The challenge: how to interject appropriate humor and fun into our serious jobs without hurting others or seriously undermining the company. When used appropriately, humor can work for you.
Humor that Uploads Also Uplifts
Humor has the power to make people feel special. When you include people in fun it simultaneously improves morale, reduces stress and facilitates team building. With the prevalence of telecommuting and workgroups scattered geographically, the challenge of furthering working relationships, bonding and building camaraderie is real. At one
San Francisco Bay Area company a workgroup staged an elaborate Remote Baby Shower. The expectant mother, who was out-of-state, called in for a pre-arranged conference call with her workgroup. When she did...surprise! Everyone was having a party in her honor. They uploaded digital photos of a decorated conference room and each other, and e-mailed sound files with well wishes. Everyone shared in the good cheer. This creative use of technology brought employees closer to each other, figuratively if not literally.
Humor That Brings People Together
Workplaces are full of opportunities to use humor for the benefit of all. Milestones are a natural place to employ humor. Dress like the recipient as a tribute during a surprise birthday party. Other celebrations to mark anniversaries, project completions or similar accomplishments are perfect opportunities to utilize humor. Even surviving certain projects is cause for celebration and fun.
Holidays are another natural time to employ humor. Halloween is a time for contests to see who can best decorate conference rooms; for other companies the anniversary of their founding is cause for celebration. Silly speeches,
skits and spoofs abound.
And the Award Goes To...
Staging award ceremonies is a great way to have fun, recognize each other and revel in the shared work experience.
Whether the categories mimic those found at the Oscars, Emmys or Tonys, or are derivative, esprit de corps rises when the team laughs at itself and each other. Best Supporting Actor, Best Impersonation of an Inanimate Object,
Best Special Effects, Most Likely to Secede, or Lifetime Achievement Award.
Humor Is The Winning Ticket
Pranks can alternately be uplifting or uprooting. A desktop publisher, on April Fools Day, adorned his co-workers cars' windshields with mock yellow parking tickets, complete with envelopes for remittance. Upon closer inspection, these true-to-life replicas of tickets had whimsical offenses of significance to the recipients. The departmental joker's ticket cited him for "excessive use of farce" and the hard charging corporate counsel's infraction charged him with a "Failure to Yield." Of course the initiator of the gag was later cited for impersonating an officer.
Everyone laughed at the spoof once they realized it was a joke. Judge Judy's signature at the bottom of the ticket gave it away.
A fast growing company didn't have enough office space for full cubicles for its new hires. One unfortunate hire's assigned cubicle had a giant pole in its midst. To her credit she never complained. Co-workers felt for her. One night they hit the streets, collecting various fliers from telephone poles in their neighborhoods. The next day when the new hire reached her cubicle, the offending pole was now covered with notices about missing pets, renters seeking apartments, cheap movers for hire and even local GRE study groups. Not only did the employee know her co-workers felt her frustration, it bonded them as well as they pulled together to help one of their own.
One Person's Humor is Another Person's Horror
When targeting humor consider targeting yourself. Everyone has a different idea of what's funny and what's not.
Many a well intentioned prank or joke has backfired. One co-worker sent another a prank letter impersonating a local media figure. The recipient mistook it for real, interpreted it as harassment and called the FBI. Oops!
The Benefits of Self-Effacing Humor
When we make fun of ourselves it actually demonstrates our healthy outlook, showing we don't take ourselves so seriously. As a result, we're regarded as more approachable and down to earth. Don't make fun of yourself excessively. Such humor loses its effectiveness with overuse.
Everyone from politicians to CEOs to Southwest Airlines flight attendants use self-deprecating humor - humor that makes fun of themselves - to get people laughing at, and consequently with them. You can too.
While gallows humor may feel appropriate during layoffs and cutbacks, strive to employ humor that uplifts and taps universal themes for best results. Here's to laughter!
Since the age of eleven when he went door-to-door selling Used Jokes, Craig Harrison has been connecting with customers through humor. As a professional speaker and corporate trainer Craig Harrison's Expressions of Excellence provides sales and service solutions through speaking. Contact him at (888) 450-0664, through his website
By Craig Harrison
Date Posted: 2009-03-17
Posted By: JANE SHONFELD
Listed under these Business Listing Categories: Business services & consultants, Entertainment, Personal Services,
More Company News
- Improve Your Image
- Dress Up For The Occasion
- Stay Warm And Stylish with Long Sleeve Polos
- Choosing a Hairstyle to Compliment your professional Look
- Dress to get the Job - Interview Attire
- How to Choose Stylish Plus-size Clothing
- Weight Loss Programs - 5 things to Consider before Choosing
- Winter fashion 2009 - Stay warm and Professional
- What to look for When buying Nylon Stockings
- Formal Wear - The essentials of Office Clothing
- The Weight loss Programme that Won't give you Sleepless nights
- Choosing shoes to Save the World
- Strive for Excellence, not Perfection
- Dressing appropriately For work Opportunities
- Improve your Image - Correct your Posture and Leave Back pain Behind
- Appropriate Humour in the Workplace
- Maximize your Image Potential - Picking the Right Clothes
- Presentation is Power: Dress like a Winner
- Match your Fashion with your Self-Image
- High-Heels: How everyday Fashion may be Hurting you
- Women in The Workplace, Then & Now: Skirt and Blouse to Power Dressing
- Compliment your Corporate Image with a Functional Scarf
- Fashion: 4 Trends for 2009
- Summer Fashions
- The Ultimate 3 Day Crash Diet
- Building Business Rapport in Emerging Markets
- Gear up for Global Warming
- Correct corporate dress will improve your bottom line
- Appropriate vs Inappropriate clothing in the workplace
- Clothing and our environment
- Dress for sales success
- Reinvent yourself for just R295
- Reinvent yourself this winter
- Selling Yourself to Succeed
- Make me Marketable Training course
- This is the year to Make the Most of Yourself
- The Change Room
- Do you want to 'Make the Most of Yourself'?
Fax 2 Email
Study IT Online
Work from Home