Match your Fashion with your Self-Image
Recent Company News
- How Image Consultants Use Free Publicity
- Total Consumer Advice on Clothing
- Body Shape Fashion Tips
- APPROPRIATE VS INAPPROPRIATE ITEMS FOR THE WORKPLACE
- Follow these 10 Steps to Improve Your Self Image
- Top Self Improvement Advice
- Self Improvement for Job Interview Success
- Improved Self Image: Dress, Walk And Act The Part
- Improve Your Self Image
- Exercise routine - Improved Apearance
- Improve Your Image
At one time or another, we have all been guilty of engaging in the instant gratification that comes from retail therapy. Whether clothes, foods, furniture or whatever else one might indulge in to avoid facing the reality which is being averted; it is almost always the case that no matter how beautiful the shoes or how wonderful the cutlery set, it does not make one feel better in a meaningful way. Our appearance and clothes should reflect the way that we feel about ourselves, rather than conceal it.
This is a problem with self-image, which you may know by another name, such as 'low self-esteem' or 'lack of self confidence'; and unless it is confronted, it is likely to lead to a life that is not lived to its fullest extent. Thankfully, there are a few easy steps that you can take to improve the way that you view yourself, and more importantly, to realize the person that you would like to be.
If you are looking for a corporate/personal image consultant with over 20 years of experience in the field, go to www.janeshonfeld.co.za
The Power of Your Self-image and How to Improve it for a Fulfilling Life
By: Raymond Gerson
I have been reading a book that I first read over 40 years ago. The book is called, Psychcybernetics, which was written by Maxwell Maltz in 1960. This book contained major breakthrough information at the time it was published and it continues to sell through word of mouth. Used copies are still available for two or three dollars.
What is so significant about this book? Dr. Maltz was a Plastic Surgeon who improved the physical appearance of thousands of people, especially those with deformities. Some of these people experienced major personality transformations following surgery. Others felt no different about themselves, even though photos revealed major improvements. Why? Because their self-image did not change. For example, some people who felt ugly before surgery still considered themselves unattractive after major improvements were made to their appearance. Dr. Maltz realized that our self-image or the picture of how we see ourselves is extremely important.
The bad news is that our self-image defines and limits what we will achieve in life. We cannot consistently outperform what we believe to be true about ourselves. Our self-image determines our degree of happiness and fulfillment, success in relationships, and our career accomplishments and satisfaction. It also impacts our physical, emotional, and mental health.
The good news is we can change and improve our self-image. Dr. Maltz concluded that 90% of the population could use at least some improvement of their self-image. His book provides practical exercises for improving one's self-image and for managing our inner critic. As our self-image improves, so does our self-confidence and self-esteem, which are important for any type of success in life. A strong and healthy picture of ourselves helps us to overcome many self-imposed limitations and beliefs.
Our inner critic is a major obstacle to experiencing a successful and fulfilling life. All of us hear the voice of this critic at times. It takes the form of inner dialog and negative self-talk. This is the voice that says, " You can't do it" or "You are not worthy of achieving your dreams".
As we strengthen and improve our self-image, we also diminish the power of our inner critic. This helps us to overcome our resistance (which is often at a sub-conscious level) to achieving our dreams. As our self-worth increases our limiting beliefs are changed into positive beliefs. We start believing in our worthiness and great potential.
What is something practical that we can do to enhance our self-image? Dr. Maltz advised people to go into the theater of their mind each day and play mental movies. Visualize yourself sitting in a theater looking at a large white screen. Then see yourself on the screen acting and feeling like the person you want to be. Also replay movies of yourself experiencing past successes. Our self-image is influenced more by pictures than words.
We become what we consistently contemplate upon. By frequently reliving your success experiences you reinforce an image of yourself as a successful person. Also, when you play mental movies of yourself acting as the person you want to become, you begin to see yourself in that way. We behave like the person we believe ourselves to be. When you enhance your self-image, your life improves from inside-out. This is one of the great secrets for finding happiness and fulfillment.
Copyright 2007. Raymond Gerson
Raymond Gerson has a Masters Degree in Psychology and over 40 years experience teaching career and personal development. He is the author of five books including, Create the Life You Want. Two of his e-books and a motivational audio presentation are available as free gifts. Go to:
Date Posted: 2009-03-10
Posted By: JANE SHONFELD
Listed under these Business Listing Categories: Business services & consultants, Entertainment, Personal Services,
More Company News
- Improve Your Image
- Dress Up For The Occasion
- Stay Warm And Stylish with Long Sleeve Polos
- Choosing a Hairstyle to Compliment your professional Look
- Dress to get the Job - Interview Attire
- How to Choose Stylish Plus-size Clothing
- Weight Loss Programs - 5 things to Consider before Choosing
- Winter fashion 2009 - Stay warm and Professional
- What to look for When buying Nylon Stockings
- Formal Wear - The essentials of Office Clothing
- The Weight loss Programme that Won't give you Sleepless nights
- Choosing shoes to Save the World
- Strive for Excellence, not Perfection
- Dressing appropriately For work Opportunities
- Improve your Image - Correct your Posture and Leave Back pain Behind
- Appropriate Humour in the Workplace
- Maximize your Image Potential - Picking the Right Clothes
- Presentation is Power: Dress like a Winner
- Match your Fashion with your Self-Image
- High-Heels: How everyday Fashion may be Hurting you
- Women in The Workplace, Then & Now: Skirt and Blouse to Power Dressing
- Compliment your Corporate Image with a Functional Scarf
- Fashion: 4 Trends for 2009
- Summer Fashions
- The Ultimate 3 Day Crash Diet
- Building Business Rapport in Emerging Markets
- Gear up for Global Warming
- Correct corporate dress will improve your bottom line
- Appropriate vs Inappropriate clothing in the workplace
- Clothing and our environment
- Dress for sales success
- Reinvent yourself for just R295
- Reinvent yourself this winter
- Selling Yourself to Succeed
- Make me Marketable Training course
- This is the year to Make the Most of Yourself
- The Change Room
- Do you want to 'Make the Most of Yourself'?
Fax 2 Email
Study IT Online
Work from Home