Search:  
Western Cape Business News
767
VIEWS

Send  Share  RSS  Twitter  02 Sep 2012

PROPERTY: Nedbank Takes Stake In New Makro Store in Cape Gate

 



Recent Western Cape Business News

A new world of shopping is in store for customers in the Northern Suburbs of Cape Town after Makro opened its doors last week. Its new store is located in Brackenfell. With a trading area of 16 513 m², Makro Cape Gate is a new “urban design store” which is very different from other Makro stores, featuring aesthetic changes which assist the store in blending into its urban surroundings.

Nedbank has further demonstrated its commitment to the retail sector by not only providing finance for this new Makro store, but also holding a significant equity stake through its Property Partners division.

Richard Thomas, regional executive: Nedbank Corporate Property Finance, Cape, notes that this is the first example of a Nedbank property partnership deal such as this. “As the market leader in the commercial property finance industry, Nedbank has provided the finance to Cape Gate Crescent Developments (Pty) Ltd for completion of the project.  Furthermore, Nedbank Property Partners holds an 85% stake in the development, with Eris Property Group (Pty) Ltd holding the remaining 15%,” he says.

Demand for a Makro trading store in the area is strong, evidenced by a very successful opening in Montague Gardens last October which resulted in record sales for the mass merchant.”

Offering something unique to retail, commercial and reseller customers, Makro is owned by Massmart, a JSE listed company which is in turn 51% owned by Walmart. Makro currently has 16 stores countrywide including two stores in the Western Cape.

The Makro store layout comprises retail warehousing space, an open floor or trading area, a separate liquor store right next door to the main store, a butchery, food including groceries, fresh fruit and vegetables, and various other speciality departments, including technology, multi-media, outdoor and an office supplies component. 

The store has been built with the environment in mind which reduces its carbon footprint dramatically. Green aspects include abundant natural light to reduce the amount of electricity required, motion sensors in all the offices and storage rooms which reduce both consumption and start-up current, environmentally friendly air-conditioning and refrigeration systems, water-wise solutions and a green plant buffer between adjoining residents and the store. These green aspects go hand-in-hand with Nedbank’s philosophy of ensuring a sustainable environment, a practice it is committed to.

Although retail foot traffic has increased significantly over the past decade,” says Chris Nezar, marketing director for Makro SA, “Makro is still very much a stockist for commercial and reseller customers, including spaza shop owners, corporates, small businesses, convenience stores and even franchisees of other retail chains.



 
 
 
real-steelBusiness Profilesaccommodation-western-capeplastic_surgery_cape_towninsurance-brokers-cape-town
 
   
 
 
 
  Accomodation
Accommodation


Online Foreign Exchange
Foreign Exchange


Directory
Directory


Fax
Fax 2 Email


Finance
Finance


Furniture
Furniture


Casino
Online Casino


Restaurant
Restaurant


Auctions
Shop Online


Study IT
Study IT Online


Web design
Web Design


Weddings
Weddings


Work
Work from Home
 
 
 
 
 
Company News
 
 

 

© 2019 www.wcbn.co.za. All rights reserved.

Daily Newsletter Subscription

 

Subscribe to the Western Cape Business News Daily News and information email (it's free).

Thank You
Your email address has been added.

Name:
Email Address: