DEVELOPMENT: City Agroparks OnThe Cards
Recent Western Cape Business News
Metropolitan agriculture is the knowledge driven complex network of agro production, processing, trade and logistics that has been developing in and around the nodes of the global network since 1970. The expertise and lessons learned by the North Western European agro sector can be used in other metropolitan areas in the world to create regional specific forms of innovating metropolitan agriculture.
An Agropark is a systems innovation of metropolitan agro production, processing and logistics. As part of an Intelligent Agrologistic Network, it enables a demand driven combination and integration of various agricultural activities.
The concept of Agroparks is based on the principles of sustainable development.
• Environmental benefits through lowering emissions and waste
• Application of principles of industrial ecology, i.e. mutual use of waste and by-products
• Improved animal comfort, increasing production levels
• Enables chain transparency resulting in better quality management
• Improvement of farmers position as a preferred supplier
• Significant reduction of economic costs
On the 13th – 14th September 2010 Wesgro will host an Agribusiness seminar at the Lord Charles Hotel in Somerset West. An expert line up of interesting speakers, from the Chief Director of Economics and ICT Infrastructure, Mr. Clinton Heiman to Wageningen University will discuss the Agroparks concept and the impact it has had on various countries.
Thanks to the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands delegates will enjoy a Cocktail evening that will be opened by Minister of Agriculture Mr. Gerrit Van Rensburg. Prof. Nico Visser will also be addressing the Guests during the course of the evening.
Business News Sector Tags:
Fax 2 Email
Study IT Online
Work from Home